Alpha 1 will be going live in a matter of hours! Before that happens, let’s quickly go over what to expect. We have come far since Alpha 0 and most of the core systems are ready to test and finalize. Alright, let’s get on with it:
The UI has been completely re-designed to improve the experience.
- The flow of the lobby is cleaner, better, and gets you into the game faster.
- Options were added to customize the UI to your liking.
- The in-game HUD is cleaner and takes less screen space.
After careful consideration, we came to the conclusion that the pros of a Stamina system far out-weighed the cons. As such, the Stamina system is enabled and part of Alpha 1.
- Every Harvest Action consumes Stamina.
- Every Craft Action consumes Stamina.
- Regenerating Health and/or Mana consumes Stamina.
- Stamina does not regenerate.
- Consuming Eggs restores Stamina.
- Resting at an Inn restores Stamina.
We went back and forth on how to handle trading. On one hand, we needed to ensure the integrity of the economy. On the other, we didn’t want to impose so many restrictions that it punished those playing the game as intended.
- Drop trading is no longer allowed, with a few low value exceptions.
- On release, we will introduce special events to remove this restriction temporarily.
- Direct Player-to-Player trading has been removed.
- Player-to-Vendor-to-Player trading has been removed.
- Player Shops have been added.
- Visit a Shop Assistant to manage your shop.
- Public shop listings can be found via Market Stands.
- List up to 40 items at a time.
- Shops must be specialized in a specific Market Category (i.e “Cooking Supplies” or “Melee Weapons”).
- This does not restrict what items you can list, it simply adds a simple form of sorting for buyers as there is no “search” to preserve the design intent.
- Shops require “rent” in 24 hour increments to list your shop publicly.
- Shops can be “boosted” in 24 hour increments to list your shop with a higher priority (above those not boosted).
- Shop sales are taxed at a rate of 10%.
- Shops can be accessed directly via an interaction option on peer Heroes nearby your Hero.
- Shops use your bank to transfer items to and from the shop.
- Until we figure out the best way to regulate shops, they will be completely unregulated. Buyer beware.
While “fun” is a very subjective term, our sole focus for combat was to make it feel fun and responsive. Like with the trading system, we re-designed the combat system several times trying to find a sweet spot.
- The hotbar consists of seven (7) actions.
- Each weapon type comes with a unique set of four (4) abilities.
- A Pie slot can be used to hot-slot a stack of Pies that restore Health when consumed.
- A Cake slot can be used to hot-slot a stack of Cakes that restore Mana when consumed.
- A Potion slot can be used to hot-slot a stack of Potions that apply a Combat Effect specific to the Potion type when consumed.
- Auto Attacks serve as a filler action that auto-invoke based on your Attack (speed) Stat.
- Casted for 0.75 seconds.
- Buff or Debuff abilities are instant.
- Special Attacks and Heals are casted for 0.75 seconds.
- Every action invokes a one (1) second Global Cooldown (GCD).
- Every action that is casted can be interrupted by another action or moving.
- This ensures you are never “locked” in place, but requires a certain level of attention to manage properly.
- Managing your Health and Mana are essential parts of combat.
- Both regenerate based on their respective Regen Stats.
- Female Hero
As a lot of changes were made, we wont list every one of them for this post. Explore around a bit and let us know what you think so we can create something special together!